Once upon a time, over in the depths of sunny Beenleigh, there was a rental property that got severely trashed by its tennants.
And three months later, after a lenghty eviction process, the property was finally empty and ready for some form of salvation. But as it stood, the property was a complete mess, it had lost the previous eight months rental income and was set to lose the owner even more while it stood empty.
Cue Localad Services Handyman Assist…
When the house owner initially got in touch with us via Real estate agent Amanda Lawrence at Home Realty Group, it was initially for a repair job to the carport. The landlord had already had several quotes for what can only be described as ‘silly money’.
Upon submitting our quote (for our normal rate no less), we won the job and within two days we got stuck in. The main support beam spanning the support posts had rotted through and collapsed so it was now our job to replace the beam, clear the existing roof of leaves and tree branches and re hang the existing gutterings and fascias to the outside perimiter. The whole job took less than a day to complete and we had just saved our man a whopping $7000 (as quoted by a competitor).
Needless to say, happy with what we had already done for him with the car port, our man then took us inside the house to see if we could further assist with any of it.
The whole house was strewn with rubbish, all the surfaces (walls, ceilings and floors) were filthy, cobwebs were rife (along with dead flies trapped in them) and many repairs were needed.
Walls were punctured, doors damaged and glass windows broken and the kitchen was a complete right off with damaged cabinets and appliances covered in all sorts of grease and god knows what.
It was our job then to remove all this debris along with all the manky window dressings from site, wash down all surfaces with chlorine, patch repair all the walls, change broken glass where required and clean the rest of the window glass and frames (a sort of bond clean on steroids you could say) and then we got to renew all the locks to the property to make it secure again.
Internal doors had new skins added to them, hinges and latches were adjusted, windows and wardobe doors had new castors added and the previously broken wardrobe rails were all changed.
And after all of that, we even got to redecorate the whole house with a minimum of two coats of paint (more where required) to all the ceilings, walls, doors (after resurfacing) and trims. And all the tile grouting was refreshed thoughout too.
Once the decorating was completed, we then got to hang new blinds and curtains throughout the property along with a few accessories to the bathroom, wc and laundry room.
Check out that fan… Don’t worry, it was changed (along with all the others in the house) but we didn’t touch them because you need licences for that kind of thing. We know our place and therefore leave stuff like that to the experts.
Notice at the head of that bed, the paint on the wall had been worn right through to the plasterboard. But not to worry, I’m sure that black grease patch did its best to preserve things .
There was another bedroom in this house but I don’t seem to have any photos for it (scratches head and hopes it doesn’t spoil your enjoyment of this post too much).
All the tap washers and wastes were serviced, grouting renewed and screens fully washed down before turning over this bathroom.
And it didn’t stop there. Outside, we also had to powerwash down all the hardstandings and the huge ceiling areas above the patio. There was moderate landscaping to be done to the gardens (front and rear), new screens were fitted to the opening windows and a fresh paint covering was given to the front door and its frame.
And then there was the kitchen…
Everything was stripped out and removed from site, the cabinets, appliances and the tiling were all gone. Then we took measurements and set to in planning and installing a brand new kitchen. The results were amazing to say the least…
New taps and tiling were also added between the benchtops and wall units along with tiling to the floor where the old units once jutted out into the room. The wall adjacent to the sink unit was also tiled ready for a fridge to be placed in front. And once again, the final fix electrics were left to a qualified (and licenced) electrician.
At the end of the day, the whole house had been fully rescued by us for its owner and was once again, habitable for the next generation of tennants. The whole project start to finish took us no longer than a fortnight to fully turn it around and within a further two weeks, thanks to the aforementioned Real Estate agent, new tennats were indeed found and the property was making its owner some money again.
And even though we had set our own rates (and were happy and making a good profit with them) for the job, our landlord happily informed us we had still saved him in excess of $15,000 in turning things around for him.
And I’m sure you’ll all agree, that’s a win win situation for all concerned.